Potentia is looking for a Construction Project Managers who can lead groups of internal and external stakeholders and effectively manage construction of projects/portfolios from budget and schedule standpoint.
One who can look at project investments in generation capacity with a long term operational view and target quality installation with time span of 25 years.
Your environment will be working with internal and external stakeholders such as landlords or municipalities, local distribution companies, equipment suppliers, EPCs, Design Builders, civil, mechanical and electrical installers and multiple authorities having jurisdictions within the solar industry for the sole purpose of DBOO (Design, Build, Own; and Operate) green generation energy systems.
In addition, during the development of portfolios and projects, you will be working in cross-functional teams with internal stakeholders from Business Development, Regulatory, Finance, Accounting, Legal, Procurement, Engineering and Field Managers and Supervisors with taking follower or leadership roles depending on the current phase of project development. Moreover, you will be leading construction team and responsible for effectiveness of resources usages in the office and on sites.
The position requires a project manager who is going to OWN projects/portfolios, self-motivated, dynamic and can lead internal and external construction stakeholders in the construction of wind power systems. As a key member of the construction group you will be managing internal and external construction resources to deliver timely and in a cost-effective manner development of wind farms from 40 to 200 MW scale.
As a highly motivated individual with exceptional planning, organization and execution control, as well as technical and communication, skills, you will work with a team of diverse professionals to deliver superior services. The ideal candidate will come from a renewable or low carbon background and bring with them construction project management and leadership skills that can be grown even further within our successful company. As a leader of construction progress and intense dynamics, you will be integrating suggestions of all team players into the most effective one to effectively resolve technical, schedule, budget and contractual aspects. In the intense flow of multiple assignments, you will need to keep clear focus on priority settings and being able to engage necessary stakeholders to complement project activities for the full completion of all project activities despite the result and critical path orientation. Understanding of contractual relationship with all the partners will be foundational for you to protect company commercial interests, while diplomatically negotiating any arising constraints not to delay projects, while maintaining highest levels of ethics.
Fast adaptability to constantly changing business environment and quick learning of necessary business process (derived from contract conditions) with the ability to apply on the go will be a crucial attribute for your personal effectiveness.
Reporting to the Director of Construction with the primary responsibilities for the position which includes the following:
- In managing projects or portfolios, you will be responsible for planning, organization and control of the execution relevant to all construction and budget aspects of projects and portfolios.
- Involvement and planning: As leader and manager of construction phase project execution, you will ensure all team members have an opportunity to put their own energy and initiative into bringing vision to life. Planning will require setting of strategic and tactical goals (which will be aligned with strategic goals) for the whole project and project’s constituent parts. You will be responsible for establishing detailed steps of plan for achieving strategic and tactical goals in time and as per the budget as well as arranging and allocating necessary resources to accomplish the plan. Planning will be done with reverse engineering and dictated by achieving construction goals and ESA/COD deliverables and include planning for construction sites, office management team and necessary external stakeholders.
- Organization, Vision, Alignment and Direction: you will be creating team structure and set of jobs/activities/current responsibilities to accomplish required plans. As CPM you will be assembling team/s necessary for the planning, execution and control with clarifying the purpose of the vision and setting the direction for every team member. You will be responsible for the engagement of a significant group of people, involved in project execution, making sure they believe in vision with understanding of its routes. Your direction will be in providing clear, specific and compelling goals that is bringing clarity to vision as well as establishing boundaries for actions.
- Control and adjustments of POC: major management focus will be on hands-on/off results monitoring and reports with conducting analysis to ensure projects’/portfolios execution is consistent with strategic and tactical goals. Identification and forecast of any deviation from the originally established plan and in-time and effective resolution of any problems will be the key for personal and projects’ success. Establishing recovery plans and adjusting actions of the team to ensure you are back to originally planned schedule and budget will be constant routing in managing projects/portfolios.
- Review and analyze completed projects and make recommendations for improvements and cost containment in new projects and participate in collaborative efforts to estimate the impact of these services.
- Requisition supplies and materials in order to maintain the construction schedule.
- Collaborate with in-house engineering department and review drawings on different stages such as IFT, IFR and IFC and recommend practical construction improvements to improve budget, simplify design and improve schedule.
- Prepare, submit and control budget expenditures and progress by evaluating construction methods and determine cost-effectiveness with the use of project tracking tools.
- Implement quality assurance programs.
- Implement projects/portfolio safety programs.
- Supervise staff and contractors.
- Monitor compliance with building and safety codes, and other applicable regulations.
- Take actions to deal with the results of delays, bad weather, or emergencies at construction sites.
- Confer with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, and design professionals to discuss and resolve procedures, change orders, and construction problems.
- Investigate damage, accidents, or delays at construction sites, to ensure that proper procedures are being carried out.
- Ensure construction milestones are achieved and approve invoices submitted by various partners. Ensure, clear communication is established with Accounting Department to allow effective and proper judgement to properly process APs/ARs and reflect any and all accounting transactions in accounting system.
- Provide weekly reports, requested information and recommendations to Director of Construction.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate must be able to operate in a fast-paced, high-growth and collaborative work environment and operate in a structured way and entrepreneurially to accomplish deliverables.
The successful candidate will possess the following combination of experience, knowledge, and skills:
- Undergraduate degree in construction management, engineering or other scientific discipline or Master Electrician with minimum of 5 years of experience in project management.
- Preferable 5 – 10 years of relevant experience including project construction management.
- Comprehensive technical understanding of wind construction is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge and working experience standard CCA contracts and procedures.
- Demonstrated process and systems-oriented approach to project management
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects, groups and activities
- Superior analytical skills in measurement frameworks, tools, and approaches
- Demonstrated advanced skill in PC applications (MS Project, MS Office Suite, Primavera or other process mapping software)
- Strong desire to bring best practices to the team, share your knowledge and expertise and enable your team members’ mutual success as the organization continues to grow.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- Being a self-motivated, organized, precise with the skills of thorough work ethic.
- Hands-on management style. Urgency identification, engineering and construction queue prioritization and crisis management.
- In-time initiation of cross-functional collaboration for the improvement of projects/portfolio deliverables. Establishment and reinforcement of POC matrix (planning, organization and execution control).
- Constant monitoring and improvement of cost structure through various project execution stages. Strategic focus on the proper breakdown of insourcing and outsourcing services to positively impact microeconomic and financial ratios.
- In-depth knowledge of CCA contracts and extensive experience with the development of complementary conditions for the standard contracts to properly capture scopes of works, prices, technical requirements and schedule. Expertise in management for highly complex projects and management of mass construction for medium size semi-identical construction projects with efficient coordination among all the construction and consulting participants.
- Compilation of the risk management frameworks for projects, monitoring and necessary adjustment in actions to minimize risk impacts starting from project set up to the closeout. Risk quantifications. Thorough knowledge of Canadian construction industry structure and industry players. Extensive knowledge of Ontario Building Codes, Electrical Codes and participation in the resolution of disputable technical aspects with AHJ (authorities having jurisdiction), including MoL.
- Thorough attention to the planning of safety on construction sites and reinforcement of safety during construction phase through close collaboration with reliable safety consultants and regular site inspections. Standardization of construction practices, processes and development of PODs (plans of days) matrixes in conjunction with construction schedules to effectively control the execution of construction works on construction sites.
- Quality control improvements on various stages of engineering and construction projects and their execution through close collaboration with outsourcing quality consultants, forensic engineers and in-house engineering teams. Implementation of PEMLI (planning, execution, measuring, learning and future implementation) matrix to gain high quality via involving project participants in the search and the implementation of optimal designs or construction solutions.
- Efficient projects and portfolios closeouts. Focus on manuals, domestic context, As-Builts, deficiency remediation and proper hand-overs to in-house operation teams, partners such as landlords, debt providers and developers.